Friday, December 10, 2010

More Thrifted Decor...

Reunited and it feels so good...
I am a sucker for anything homemade/handmade. Two years ago in the Salvation Army, I came across this knitted, round, Christmas house of sorts. It's a coffee can in disguise. It is perfect for holding Christmas cookies (inside a Ziploc baggie). Then about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I found a mini-version. A guest house, if you will. It's a peanut can in disguise. I have done ZERO baking this year, but these adorable little houses look so cute on my kitchen bar! I don't know if these were ever together before, but they sure seem to belong together! Maybe one day I'll bake...

At a different Salvation Army on the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, I came across 19 pieces of Spode Christmas Tree china. As we all know, "only Spode is Spode." Never mind that I already have enough dinner plates to open a restaurant, I had to have them. At $15.00 I just couldn't resist. I have 6 place settings in my parents' attic in NC, but to get them to HI would cost way more than 15 bucks. I am going to use the 3 extra salad plates as parts of gifts I plan to give.

This little herd of reindeer was waiting for me at the Goodwill that's in the same town as the Salvation Army where I found the Spode. They were 99 cents each and just too cute. My school office has a huge herd of these same ceramic critters decorating the teachers' mailboxes. Only their herd is painted a lovely shade of...ummmmm...blue? It's funny that they're the exact same reindeer, but I prefer the tan ones myself.


I found this lovely Tasha Tudor book at Savers that same night. When I go "far away" thrifting to Waipahu, which is about 14 miles away from Honolulu, I stop at 3 stores and I am never disappointed. I found a ton of great Christmas books for my classroom, as well as, my craft/cookbook collection. It was an awesome night! This book is very sweet and my students are really drawn into the "old fashioned-ness" of the stories and illustrations. I'm totally enjoying my 3rd graders who still believe in Santa and are just enthralled with all things holiday and Christmas.
Their enthusiasm really helps to keep me in the spirit of Christmas!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all I love your blog title. You just took me way back to Junior High! Those reindeer are just the cutest :)

Vanessa said...

Love your cute thrifted decor! Especially the deer and handmade piece!

Joy said...

Amanda, I'm with you about the blog title...I was transported! However, the Spode was the find-of-the-hour for me! Lucky, lucky friends who receive the salad plates for Christmas!

Laura said...

Your crocheted canister covers are amazing! What a find!

Laura said...

Agreeing with Amanda the blog title is awesome!!

I love Tasha Tudor and that book is on my wish list this year!!